"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion — to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair."~from ISAIAH 61 Bible verse for this Blog

APOLOGY to READERS who followed a SEARCH to HERE & didn't find it

On July 18, 2017, I drafted almost 3000 blog posts that I had published since 2008 when I began blogging, rather than edit each one. So if you clicked here from somewhere else and ended up with the post unavailable or error, I am sorry but this is why. It'd be too much work for me to go back and fix them. There's an explanation on 7/19/17 as I'm still learning.

Friday, August 5, 2022

SELFLESSNESS and HUMILITY in RELATIONSHIPS


Pastor Rick Warren had another 2 great devotions that I read and really cherish but I did not write a blog post about either (until now), because I just don't have as profound thoughts as he shared ... but, boy - do I agree!!! So I wonder why don't I have more to add? Most likely, because although I can point to the lack in the other (or others), perhaps this points to me too. I know while in Mexico, I often asked God to give me more humility, like I saw in the Mexican people, especially the women I had the honor to meet (of course, it's not every woman but more the women than the men). Ouch! Do I dare even write that ... well, I did. So there - now back to the 2 devotionals, in order:

August 3, 2022

"Healthy Relationships Depend on Selflessness"

"Selfishness destroys relationships. It is the number one cause of conflict, arguments, divorce, and even war." ...



“The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!—harvests a crop of weeds. All he’ll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God’s Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life."Galatians 6:7-8 (The Message)

And after the beginning boxed quote:

James 4:1 says, “What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you?” (NIV). 


August 4, 2022

"Humility Builds Relationships"


"Pride destroys relationships. It shows up in a lot of different forms, like criticism, competition, stubbornness, and superficiality." ...


“Be humble and give more honor to others than to yourselves.”   Philippians 2:3 (NCV)


I don't know if you have read these short devotionals by Pastor Rick Warren, and I considered (not really) copying it all and just adding my 2 cents after each line that strikes me (but I know better). I really do. 

Let me just add my 2 cents (and you can figure out to which part of his devotional I am referring to ...) [wink, wink] ... because when I wrote, I agree - I also might agree but have not experienced it. So, although I might like to shout "Amen" to what he shares, there are some places that I just might need to hold back, due to my inner head shaking, knowing that I've either seen or not seen this in my RELATIONSHIPS. Like the parts on the opposite of my title - Selfishness! Ouch! I swear as we get older, it seems that we tend towards being more selfish. I certainly know first-hand how selfishness destroys RELATIONSHIPS. Yet the other person, usually does not realize, admit or see themselves as selfish - in fact, they seem to think that they are very generous, giving far beyond what is deserved. Now, if we are Christians (at least in times past), you know that we do not deserve what God has given to us. Nowadays, sadly, too many are under the belief that they are privileged and entitled to more or better. [I will refrain from my views on this in our current society; but let me tell you, it's very hard for me to do this. Yet, I do not want to be like them in any way. However, that is also why there is so much destruction; too much deception and defensiveness; and way too much evil! (I should add a 'd' before that last word - devil). God help us.] There are more and more broken RELATIONSHIPS and way too much selfishness, bullying, negative remarks and comments instead of more mending, healing and positive words exchanged everywhere, but especially in social media. We have forgotten how to love like Jesus; we have forgotten how to relate or listen; we have forgotten how to build bridges and build up one another - out of our personal self-centered self (selfishness) - more of me, less to others. Whereas Pastor Rick shows us, we need less of "me" and more of "you" - selflessness - "thinking of others, more than yourself" and "putting their needs before your own". I have not seen that selflessness bring out the best in my relationship(s). I'd like to see this. I'd like healthy relationships! I'd like to be able to build trust or build back trust, but sometimes all the wishing or words just does not make it so. This does not mean that I don't agree or hope and pray that forgiveness will come in a visible way so that RELATIONSHIPS can be mended and move forward but reality is what it is. So I pray a little harder and work on selflessness anyway along with that humility. Great attributes (fruit to grow) in your life like these two, so we can build and not destroy the RELATIONSHIPS around us and the world so in need of Jesus - the real Jesus Christ and His attributes! 

You may notice that I chose to focus on the first devotional, rather than the second; but that's because I already mentioned about me and humility - it's just like me and some of the fruit of the Spirit, I need more of - like patience ... I do choose to allow Jesus Christ to control my thoughts, heart, attitude and reaction. Yes, it's that reaction that I really need His control more each and every day. Don't we all??Don't we need less reaction and more action? More waiting ... pause and let the Holy Spirit rise up and respond more Christlike (less like the d(evil)! We need to shine light in this darkness. We need to seek to be Spirit-controlled, not self and selfishly. We need to take off the spirit of pride - uproot it every time it rises up and seeks our way, like a spoiled child. We need to listen more, speak less and be ready to build, not tear down and destroy the differences between us but find a common bond ... a uniting force that Jesus Christ gives equally to each human being - one human race racing to the finish line and helping each other to get there too, together! One body under the humble authority of one Kingdom under God. I'm so thankful that we can encourage every RELATIONSHIP towards a more giving and generous understanding of inclusiveness, not being exclusive - acceptance, not more rejection and restriction. A healthy wholeness that wants RELATIONSHIPS healed and restored. Repentance and restitution to the many we have wronged. More and more aMazing Grace, like the grace that we are given each and every day! Honor others more than seeking for yourself - be humble like Jesus!

Thank you for reading! But I hope you read from Pastor Rick's devotionals to receive a message for you and yours, for hearts joined together, working to better our lives, not take away from others - in order to do this; but to find strength to build RELATIONSHIPS that will last and love more deeply (selflessly and humbly)!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Bless you for your visit and encouraging words! I thank you and I am humbly blessed by YOU and the time you spend with me... Peace, "Mazmagi" Peggy


To my faithful visitors;
all of you who spend your valuable time here with me
I do appreciate you so much!

Thank you for taking your time to visit!

Love, Sweet blessings & Hugs!

DIOS TE BENDIGA
GOD BLESS YOU

always

Peggy