"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion — to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair."~from ISAIAH 61 Bible verse for this Blog

APOLOGY to READERS who followed a SEARCH to HERE & didn't find it

On July 18, 2017, I drafted almost 3000 blog posts that I had published since 2008 when I began blogging, rather than edit each one. So if you clicked here from somewhere else and ended up with the post unavailable or error, I am sorry but this is why. It'd be too much work for me to go back and fix them. There's an explanation on 7/19/17 as I'm still learning.

Saturday, April 13, 2024

CHOOSE "CALM" No Matter ...

Sometimes it's not a Choice

(*it's "mind over matter")

but for me in

2024


it's suppose to be my 

One Word

{*oh, no - I used another idiomatic expression, but I will refrain from going off on that tangent}


By now, it might look as if my 2024 One Word is FOCUS, or maybe some other One Word that you have seen often in my blog posts since 2024 began and not so much the One Word CALM. But behind the scenes, I still am seeking CALM, as my One Word. God has really placed CALM as my center FOCUS, and yet as I FOCUS on all the other One Words for each week, or the ones for "Pauses"; I decide to CHOOSE "CALM"; if only it was that easy. That is the same premise that I started with here today and also the other day, however, I am sure that for quite some time I have been choosing "CALM" yet have failed to find it (like other things, too). I know (in my mind & especially my heart) that choosing "CALM" over chaos would be most people's choice, as well as "serenity over stress" and "peace over perfection". I especially like "grace over grit"! But "faith over fear" is really good for many of us too. 

[Sad to say, I did not know Mary Davis when I used her image quote; but when I looked her up, I was a bit hesitant about using her quote. There's good, and not so good in what I discovered, so I'm not endorsing her, but that doesn't mean her thoughts (the quote) are not good & true. If you have a part in Special Olympics, then the good outshines some of the rest. Right?]

My purpose of this post is not the quote, nor the idiomatic expression of "mind over matter", but to begin to share some of my journey into CALM as my One Word. So let's start.

As always, I have to start out with the definition of CALM:

 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary:
1. (n.) Freedom from motion, agitation, or disturbance; a cessation or absence of that which causes motion or disturbance, as of winds or waves; tranquility; stillness; quiet; serenity.

2. (n.) To make calm; to render still or quiet, as elements; as, to calm the winds.

3. (n.) To deliver from agitation or excitement; to still or soothe, as the mind or passions.

4. (super.) Not stormy; without motion, as of winds or waves; still; quiet; serene; undisturbed.

5. (super.) Undisturbed by passion or emotion; not agitated or excited; tranquil; quiet in act or speech.



I also enjoy beginning by looking at the Greek and Hebrew words for CALM, but I'll wait until I have a verse with it & check out Strong's then so my next part of my search is looking at the words in the Thesaurus (a synonym dictionary, list of similar words). The list includes: 18 occurrences of CALM in the Bible; Quiet (167 occurrences); waves; lull; still; tranquil; placid; serene; peaceful; hushed; harmonious; untroubled; mild; soothing; ... there's many more given.

Of course, there are many 'worldly' ways to become a calm person, so I looked specifically for Christian ways, which you need to do these days but still be cautious. I also have my own collection of Christian books: one in particular gifted to me from a wonderful sister in Christ πŸ’š last year: "Jesus, CALM My Heart" to last me all 365 (Nights) {although many seem to be for another person, I find them helpful to direct me toward God before going to sleep} and after doing other YV plans; I got some others too, but last year, I began with Wendy Blight's "Rest for Your Soul". Another one I began this year with was "Sleep Psalms"(also a sample of 14 days in YV). My most recent acquisition is "Give it to God and Go to Bed" after completing the 5 day sample by Laura Harris Smith on You Version (YV), and along with her videos that go with her book (and this has many other products available on amazon from pillows to signs to canvas wall art and even a bedside cross). All of those showed up before I could get to the book. Clearly too many of us have much "to give to God" so we can go to sleep. I also have books by Max Lucado like "Calm Moments..."; "Less Fret ..."; "Anxious ... Calm in a Chaotic"; etc. Another favorite is by Julie K. Gillies, "Prayers to Calm Your Anxious Heart" (sample at YV of 5 days of Heart-Calming Prayer)!πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ I highly recommend all of these books!

So even though, it might seem that I'm FOCUSed on many other One Words, I am still pursuing my One Word of CALM for 2024. In the background, I really am "surrounding myself (or at least trying to) with more positive influence" which for me means "quiet time with God" morning & night and often times throughout my day & night, seeking to center myself in the CALM that God intends us to have in our lives. A Bible boost can do so much, so filling myself up with uplifting verses from Scriptures, and having them around you in your living environment (such as the products above in wall decor or even simple bookmarks can help). But my most helpful so far, has been to listen to Christian or instrumental music, whenever and wherever I can. 

I will save my Scripture verses for other blog posts except for the 7 following verses to "CALM an anxious heart" starting out with my life verse since the 90s and in my order of 'go-to':

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)

"Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28 (VOICE)

" So don’t be afraid. I am here, with you;
        don’t be dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you, help you.
        I am here with My right hand to make right and to hold you up. "
Isaiah 41:10 (VOICE)

"Do not be anxious or worried about anything, but in everything [every circumstance and situation] by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your [specific] requests known to God. And the peace of God [that peace which reassures the heart, that peace] which transcends all understanding, [that peace which] stands guard over your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus [is yours] " Philippians 4:6-7 (AMP)

"I leave the gift of peace with you—my peace. Not the kind of fragile peace given by the world, but my perfect peace. Don’t yield to fear or be troubled in your hearts—instead, be courageous! " John 14:27 (TPT)

"The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    so why should I be afraid?
The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger,
    so why should I tremble? " Psalm 27:1 (NLT)

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to Him,
    and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

These are mainstay Bible verses to CALM our hearts, but they are not
One Word verses with the One Word: CALM 
like this:

Psalm 131:2
"Instead I have kept my soul CALM and quiet ..."
(God's Word Translation)

More will be in future blog posts on CALM. 

But meanwhile,

I want to end with at least one good devotion to go read:

"Learning to CALM and Quiet Your Soul"

by Sarah J. Hauser

Proverbs 31 Ministries



[I went to P31 looking for one by Lysa T. because I had just read one, but this is what I chose]

I was hoping her new book might be & actually I wish that the title was:

CALM Mind, Peaceful Heart

but

it's actually

"Clear Mind, Peaceful Heart"

(perhaps having a clear mind will cause us to be calm, remain calm & live calm)

Today, I CHOOSE 

CALM

Jesus' CALM, no matter what ...

<>

As I look at the date I chose to publish this before the CHOOSE week is over, I find that it is my older brother's birthday. He would be 75, if he didn't depart from here last August 2023. I still CHOOSE CALM as I remember him today.


[Blog post 3,400]

2 comments:

  1. Music calms even the savage beast it has been said, and it helps me as well! However, when my husband blasts his favorite 70’s rock tunes I feel anything but calm!

    I liked that last paragraph in that devo:

    “Like David, we can calm and quiet our souls — not because life circumstances are peaceful or our unruly to-do lists are finally tamed. Rather, we can calm and quiet our souls because God is a trustworthy, faithful provider who invites us to rest in His arms.”

    I choose “calm”, too, Jesus’ CALM!

    Praying for peace and calm on this date of remembrance for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again πŸ’š you definitely captured a good quote from that devo! So glad we can choose calm together in Jesus! I appreciate your prayer for calm & peace, but I guess you will read how this remembrance day went.

      It's been a long time since I've listened to any 70s music, not so much rock but easy listening but I think blasting rock is the only way to hear that percussion! Your poor ears & upset calm! I get that but when I hear other people's music, it's often in the middle of the night, but not rock, it's jazz. Use to be their own tune favorites also
      practiced on the trombone mouthpiece & at times it was the trombone itself with a mute. Very non-effective in the quiet of the house with I guess very thin walls & floor boards or very acute hearing even with my hearing loss. But music is music & to each their own but a little respect would be nice! πŸ˜‰ Bless you!

      Delete

Bless you for your visit and encouraging words! I thank you and I am humbly blessed by YOU and the time you spend with me... Peace, "Mazmagi" Peggy


To my faithful visitors;
all of you who spend your valuable time here with me
I do appreciate you so much!

Thank you for taking your time to visit!

Love, Sweet blessings & Hugs!

DIOS TE BENDIGA
GOD BLESS YOU

always

Peggy